Saturday, June 28, 2008

What happened to June?


I'm not entirely sure what happened to the month of June...but it seems to be pretty much over now. I suppose with 2-3 jobs and a wedding, I just missed a few days in there, but I think I'm ready for July!

Check out my picture of the storm we got last night...shot from the window of my townhouse, you can see Xavier-Loyola Hall on the left, and the lights from the soccer field. I had a great video...but it's too big to upload...grrr... It was pretty intense--this is right after the torrential downpour began. I'm happy to say, however, that my car stayed where I left it, despite the river that formed in the parking lot.

As far as the goings on of Rockhurst--today was the last day of having the Youth Leadership Institute on campus. They're a really awesome camp for high school age students. Luckily, I was doing a desk shift one day when they were doing an exercise in sexism and discrimination in XL hall--in my opinion, it was amazingly well done and I was totally impressed! Besides all that, their facilitators and campers were all extremely nice, which is so nice to experience as a conference staff member.


We don't have any conferences on campus for the next week, but the last three of the summer are some of the largest and most fun--so watch for news on NCA, Sister Cities, and K-Fest as they come through Rockhurst!


My graduate school search is still ongoing. I've had to rearrange a few of my plans as I've learned more about the application process--for one, I was planning on taking the GRE this summer, but not all the schools I'm looking at require that test and most others prefer that I actually have an application on file before sending my scores, so I have to add that to the list for the fall. I've managed to whittle down my long list of prospective schools to about 6 or 7 that I probably will apply to, but I'm trying to stay flexible. What I'm really looking for is a TA position or some other form of financial assistance, and I probably won't find out about any of that until after winter break. Lucky for me, I love Kansas City but I'm more than happy to move wherever I need to--especially if it has colder weather!


I'm also going to apply to the JET (Japan Exchange and Teaching) program, which would involve moving to Japan for a year to teach English if I were accepted. I've always been fascinated by Japanese culture and language, and this could be a marvelous opportunity...unfortunately, if I get a good grad school deal and get accepted into the JET program, I would have a very difficult choice to make!


True to my blog title, I do love to wax eloquent and make these posts entirely too long, so I'll leave it at this.


Ta!

No comments: